At Lyell, our vision is to develop curative cell-based immunotherapies for solid tumor cancers. We have innovative science originating from our founder’s world class labs and a unique and disruptive approach to research and development. Our company is first and foremost focused on understanding the science. We are a learning organization, dependent on deep collaborative relationships between all of our colleagues, partners and founders. Our culture is based on Respect, Science, Courage and Collaboration and it reflects who we are and the environment we are creating.
Lyell is looking for a Software Engineer specializing in DevSecOps to join the Information Sciences team. Software engineers at Lyell will be responsible for building a cloud native data platform to enable Lyell scientists and collaborators to access real-time scientific data, share data with collaborators, and make meaningful and actionable scientific insights from large data volumes of many different data modalities with security and automation baked into everything we do. We are looking for people who are passionate about writing high quality software and want to contribute to a team and company that is making a making a difference in the world!
- Design and implement cloud infrastructure and automation to support a cloud-based microservices architecture built to support collaboration on our data platform
- Help develop a cyber security program as part of the infrastructure, application design and roll out that continuously evaluates and recommends new and emerging security products and technologies.
- Develop an automated framework for security tool deployment and development
- Promote culture of automating everything!
- Help design, build and operate our CI/CD pipelines and tools to enable a “learn fast and adapt” engineering environment which incorporates both in-line automated security and functional testing
- Monitor, operate and perform upgrades on production systems
- Manage, monitor and maintain non production systems
- Automate all infrastructure deployment as code
- Contribute to the design of the data platform to ensure that the software is scalable, resilient, compliant and secure
- Ensure that Lyell’s cloud security needs are met using best of breed tools and design patterns, such as implementing host / container hardening, vulnerability detection, file integrity monitoring, incident response, encryption, DLP, risk management and mitigation.
- Documenting security infrastructure, and collaborate with our regulatory and compliance team, as well as our software engineers
- Python, Ruby or other scripting languages
- experience using AWS and experience with SDKs such as Python Boto
- Infrastructure as Code tools such as Terraform, CloudFormation
- Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment: AWS CodeBuild, Jenkins, Whitesource, Sonarqube, etc.
- Security and compliance monitoring services such as CloudPassage, Dome9 and the many AWS services (GuardDuty, KMS, IAM, Inspector, Shield, WAF, Secrets Manager, Organizations etc.)
- Implementing microservices with Docker using frameworks such as K8, EKS, or ECS and serverless architectures using Lambda
- Unix/Linux, Application Security, Vulnerability Management, Incident Management, Networking, API Security
- Passionate about the DevSecOps mindset / development practices, security and experience evangelizing both
- Degree (B.S., M.S. or PhD) in Computer Science, Math, Physics, or biological sciences is preferred, but not required
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Understanding of trends and regulations to ensure effectiveness and compliance with all regulations and frameworks we align to now or in the future including: ISO, HIPAA, SOX, HITRUST, GDPR, CCPA and GxP
- An interest in biological sciences
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively among cross-functional teams, with a particular understanding for and drive to solve data issues faced by research and clinical scientists.
- Ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet deadlines and balance competing priorities.
- Excellent analytical skills and scientific/technical expertise
- Strong drive to contribute and make nothing less than a radical impact in a fast moving, growing company with audacious goals and ambitions around creating curative immunotherapies for any cancer
- 5+ years of experience
At Lyell, we believe that highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who respectfully challenge each other. We are committed to building an open, diverse and inclusive culture for all employees.
Lyell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.
We’ve learned from experience that some of the best people don’t always match our requirements perfectly - if you’re interested and think you could fit, please don’t hesitate to apply.